Monday April 1 2019
News Source: Fund Regulation
Focus: Closet Trackers
Country: European Union
On 29th March 2019, the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) updated its Questions and Answers (Q&As) regarding the application of the Undertakings in Collective Investments in Transferable Securities (UCITS) Directive.
The updated Q&As clarify the UCITS KIID benchmark and past performance obligations, namely that:
- UCITS should clearly indicate, in the KIID, whether their strategy is ‘active’ (or ‘actively managed’) or ‘passive’ (or ‘passively managed’);
- A UCITS managed in reference to a benchmark is one where the benchmark plays a role in the management of the UCITS, for example, in the explicit or implicit definition of its portfolio composition and/or performance objectives and measures (this clarification led to repeal of an existing Q&A on past performance); and
- Investors should be provided with an indication of how actively managed the UCITS is, compared to its reference benchmark index.
- Where funds name a target in their investment objectives and policies, the performance should be disclosed against the target, even if the comparator is not named a ‘benchmark’
- The performance disclosed in the KIID regarding a benchmark index should be consistent with performance disclosure in other investor communications.
Click on the above link for further information.